The Coach Edward T. Lambert (Coach Lamb) Memorial Scholarship was established in 2008 to honor the life and legacy of Coach Edward T. Lambert (Coach Lamb) who lost his battle with Lupus in September 2007. Edward spent most of his adult life coaching football at De Anza High school in Richmond and many hours mentoring student-athletes and assisting with college applications. He often said to me, “Mom, these kids just need someone who cares.” Edward became that caring adult in their lives.
Purpose: To provide scholarships to student athletes from West Contra Costa high school who have a desire to attend college and play sports. Edward believed that student athletes from inner city schools would stay in college if they had the financial resources and the opportunity to participate in the sports.
Scholarship Process: Interested students will complete and submit the application to the Coach Lamb Scholarship Committee. The committee selects the scholarship recipient using the following guidelines:
Eligibility Guidelines: Seniors from West Contra Costa Unified School District schools who will graduate in June of the present school year and plans to attend a four-year or two-year community college or trade school, who are actively involved in school sports, and who have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
To apply for this scholarship, the student must:
- Have a minimum of 2.5 GPA in core curriculum subjects throughout 4 years of high school.
- Demonstrate active participation in extra-curricular and community service activities.
- Student-athlete with aspirations to play sports in college.
- Verify financial need by completing a Financial Information Form, or copy of a completed FAFSA.
- Provide an up-to-date High School transcript. Unofficial transcripts are accepted.
- Provide 2 letters of recommendation.
- Letter of Recommendation from one core subject teachers.
- Letter of Recommendation from another adult who knows them well.
- Respond to all essay questions.
Janet L. Johnson, Ed’s Mom & Scholarship Chair